Privacy and Comment Options

Site Visibility

You can set your site to have varying levels of privacy.

Go to your Dashboard > Settings > Reading. You will see a number of options under “Site Visibility”. They start with the most public setting and descend into privacy from there.

The first two settings in this list make your site public. This will not be appropriate for most class project sites due to student privacy as well as copyright issues. So, unless you have student permission and/or copyright clearance, please ignore and do not use:

• Allow search engines to index this site- Your site will be public and indexed by search engines.
  • Discourage search engines from indexing this site- Your site will be public and probably not indexed by search engines.

The other choices will be better options for you. Here’s what they mean:

• I would like my site to be visible only to Registered network users. – Anyone with a Five College login will be able to see the site.
  • I would like my site to be visible only to Site subscribers. – The site will be available only to the specific students and faculty listed as “users” on the site.

You can also ignore these options as they are very role-specific and not generally applicable to these projects.

• I would like my site to be visible only to Site administrators.
  • I would like my site to be visible only to Site contributors.

Commenting

By default, your site will allow registered users to comment on pages or posts on your site. Who can see the page in the first place is of course dependent on the settings above.

This is useful if you’d like students to be able to comment on each other’s work, or if you would like to leave comments for them.

To adjust these settings, go to your Dashboard > Settings > Discussion.

To allow comments, or not allow comments entirely- check or uncheck the box for “Allow people to post comments on new articles”

If your site is private only to class members the rest of these options are moot. You may want to leave the “Comment author must fill out name and email” checked just so you know which comment is from who.

Since these sites are private, you can likely safely uncheck “Comment author must have a previously approved comment” so you don’t have to moderate the commenting.

You can also enable or disable comments on specific pages or posts. When adding or editing a post , look for the box toward the bottom of the screen to allow commenting or not.